Friday, January 21, 2011

Get in the ZONE!!! Auto-Zone! at InkSlingers

Hey all! It's how you get in the writing zone at InkSlingers Critique Group Blog this week. Go here to check out what everyone had to say on the topic or read below to see my thoughts. 

If you have no idea what that title means then check out the quick commercial below. Sadly, it isn't one of those that says the tagline with a lot of feeling, but it also goes along with what I've got to say so check it out anyway...okay? Okay. (<--see I totally took in your opinion there)

Remember that nice guy tuning up his car? Well writing for me is a lot like that. Before I can start writing something new I have to get back into the world. I can do that by tuning/adjusting what I did yesterday, aka add some more oil, tighten a random bolt with a ratchet, or act like turning a piece of plastic with a wrench is actually doing anything at all to ready my car...I mean...WiP. *cough* (The funny thing is once you have a little mechanical experience (a college class in my case) mechanic and car commercials become a lot more fun.)

Back to topic. To get in the zone I need to remember where I was and my purpose. Once I'm there I'm usually good to go and if not, I've always got the back up plan of pixie popcorn and some diet beverages.Here's a good piece of advice I've found really helps: whatever gets you in the zone make it as easy and fast as possible. Make it something you can do every day. The more you do it, the easier it will be and the faster you can get into the zone (AUTOZONE!!!!) AUTOmatically and get writing.

I challenge you bloggers to get in the zone 
(Sorry, I couldn't resist) 
this weekend and get some stuff written. Let me know how you get in the zone in the comments!

3 comments:

Roxy said...

Thanks! I'll accept that great challenge and do something productive with it.

Meredith said...

Haha, love this! I need to get into the writing zone this weekend, and now I have inspiration :)

Talli Roland said...

I'd love to get in the zone. Having a bit of difficulty these days!