Friday, April 22, 2011

What I hate to write at Ink Slingers!

First though, an ammouncement:
Henceforth, I will be posting on Tuesday and Thursday only. Between work, school, writing, and blogging, I've nearly keeled over this semester. I will be here though on those two days bright eyed and ready to slash ink across this metaphorical canvas.

Source
On to today's post. Over at the Ink Slingers, it's what you don't like to write week. While there's nothing I really HATE to write (except for maybe nonsensical essays with no room for creativity), there is one thing I don't enjoy writing as much. What? You ask, not enjoy writing something? BLASPHEME!
Super action scenes. 
I know and I'm even hanging my head in shame right now...sort of. Okay, not really.

Little action scenes are fine, it's those monumental, climatic, stupendous, make-it-or-break-it action scenes that really make the book superb that I flounder with. It's not flounder really, but I'm constantly tweaking them, constantly reading them again and again. I'm in constant doubt if it really hits the level that it needs to be at, hits it and then supasses it. It very nearly freaks me out. I mean, what happens if the only reason I'm feeling something in that moment is because I now my story well and I know what I want it to be, not what it is? What if I'm blind to the biggest flaw in the biggest part of my story?
Ahhh!
This would be the point when I run for cover. 

Thankfully, I have a great critique group that tells me what works and what doesn't. What detail adds the right touch and what is a tad too much. (Thanks gals!) Without them, I'd probably be on my millionth rewrite of the same scene and in the end it'd end up in the same place, back in rewrite mode. (Not that I'm downing rewriting because it's rockin'. The trick is knowing when you've hit gold and knowing when you're still at iron ore.)

So, which type of scenes do you stuggle with? Do you know why? Let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

Stina said...

Hmmm. I'm not sure. Probably, like most people, the beginning. Thanks to all the advice on writing a kick ass first chapter, it's easy to become paranoid about that part of the book (and for good reason). :P

One thing I don't struggle with is the romance scenes. :D