Monday, August 11, 2014

Don't Rush

This is the message I've said to myself this last week:
Don't rush. Take your time. Let it grow.
Well, that and,
There were agents who specifically asked for what you write three years ago and there still will be three years in the future. 

The thing about it though, is, it isn't easy. I'd rather just send out some queries, have a few agents say I'm wonderful and then end up on a bookshelf with a shiny cover and big letters with my name on it. At least, that horrible, awful, no good, very bad side of me says that. The sane side says what's in bold. I really don't want my books to end up on bookshelves right now. They're not ready and neither am I. 

I feel like I'm in a good place and that's nice, but I wish I were one of those debut novelists with a shiny cover sitting on the bookshelf. I'm hoping there are a couple people out there with these same thoughts otherwise this is going to be one super awkward diary-like post and that's not what I want. I'm hoping if I acknowledge how much I want this that it'll propel me to make the changes I know I probably should. So on the off chance you've read anything here and thought, "Eh, that's me as well." I have a message for you. As long as you're working towards it,

Don't rush. Take your time. Let it grow. There were agents who specifically asked for what you write three years ago and there still will be three years in the future. 

No comments: