A number of published writers give advice to aspiring writers to read. Read EVERYTHING!! Read the newspaper, read books in your genre, or not in your genre. Read signs, posters, and soup can labels, doesn't matter what....just read. I think it's a great piece of advice.(If it wasn't, I doubt so many people would be saying it)
So, these last few days I've stuck my nose in a book, that I've been excited to get my hands on for some time, and followed the advice of those who have gone before me. This is what I've found out:
1. I don't like it when in a series the first book is in one character's POV and ONE CHARACTER ONLY!! And then the second book changes around to more POV's than I can count on one hand. (only one of which is even familiar)
2. I don't like it when I can't tell what the author's plan is. It doesn't mean I have to be right...I just have to be guessing.
3. I don't like it when there's a ton of information all dumped on me in book 2 of a series that could have been explain in book 1. For example, in the book I'm reading there's tons of court titles for people and none of them match the "real world" or even "literary world" of normal titles. The author doesn't explain them at all and they weren't used in book 1.
4. I don't like huge complicated names that all look the same and aren't pronounceable. (I even checked the internet for a pronunciation to no avail. Came up on several with nothing at all.)
5. I don't like it when suddenly the story is more complex than the characters in it. Really, I want to know about them and their lives, not the politics of other characters.
It is a sad day in Bethany-ville because I haven't enjoyed this book nearly as much as the first that came in the series. However, it is also a happy day in Bethany-ville because I now have a list of things that I will do my utmost to avoid doing in my own series.
So, how about you. Do you have any skin crawling pet peeves? Anything that makes your blood boil or makes you throw a book out the window?? Anything you want to share about my dislikes or your own??? Let me know below!