Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Calling all Writers, Readers, and People of the World

Have you ever had that moment where you feel like something has to be done? A moment of enlightenment that says, hey I can't do much, but I'll do what I can? I had one of those last night and I want to share it with you.

I've been blessed to have good health for my entire life. No broken bones. No stitches. No real sickness or disease scares. I've had my share of childhood mishaps, but nothing has really threatened my life. I feel truly blessed for that.

I don't think anyone can really appreciate anything until it is gone. Think about the first best friend you ever had. Are you still close friends with them? Do you still share all those secrets with the same person? I don't. Somewhere along the line things changed. We changed. I mourned for our loss of friendship. Until I lost a friend, felt betrayed by a friend, loved a friend;  I never really knew what they meant to me. What having that kind of bond could mean to me. Knowing what it really means changed everything. It changed my life.

It's the same thing with good health. Those of us blessed with good health, even decent health, have no clue what it is to go through what others do who aren't as lucky as us. Really luck and chance are the only differences.

You might be wondering where I'm going with this.

Aaron, one of my critique partners in the Ink Slinger's Critique group, send an email last night asking the group to help someone she knows.

Source
Hannah is a fifteen year old girl in California, who is waiting for a heart transplant at the Ronald McDonald house. There's one thing she'd like to do while she waits, read letters. The thing is, she hasn't gotten that many. This is where I'm asking for your help. A lot of the people who read this are writers. I'm asking you to use your craft. Write Hannah a letter. Some of you are readers. Write to Hannah what you'd want to read. Some of you are people who don't read or write more than the average person. I'm asking you to open an email and write.

It could be that you don't have a clue what to write. That's alright. I don't have a clue what I'm going to as I write this post. What do you say to someone you don't know? Think about it. Reflect on it. Pray about it (if that's something that will help you). Inspiration will come. Then, write. Send your letter to thebloggergirlz@gmail.com. No postage necessary, Aaron will take care of the rest.


Want to do more? Check out the links below. Some need funding, others volunteers, and some...well, organs.   Think about how blessed you are and ask yourself if you can't do something. It doesn't have to be big or complicated. It can be as simple as a letter, dropping your change at the donation tub at McDonald's, or volunteering at a local Ronald McDonald House. If I've learned anything, it's that I may not understand what someone else is going through, but that doesn't mean I can't do something about it. A lot of the time we get stuck in the thought that we are too small to make a difference, my challenge to that is: if not me, then who?

Ronald McDonald House
OrganDonor.gov
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Make-A-Wish Foundation

4 comments:

Carolyn V said...

What a wonderful thing to do Bethany! I'll send my note today. =)

Shauna Renee' said...

Wow. Timely--a distant relative by marriage received his heart transplant last night. And I received your package in the mail yesterday--thank you!

Just now saw this, but will add writing a letter to this young lady to my list for when I get home later! Thanks for sharing!

Catherine Denton said...

Bethany, this is such a beautiful gesture. I would love to write her letters. I can't imagine that kind of waiting and to be so young. Thank you for putting this out there!
My Blog

Amie Borst said...

you're so sweet to think of her. i hope this little girl is able to receive the help she needs.