Friday, March 18, 2011

Love is in the Air at Ink Slinger Blog!

I love a good classic romance like pretty much everyone else. (Including my critique partners, go here to check out their thoughts on our group blog.)

Ron and Hermionie = Perfection. 
Harry + Ginny = (there are no words)
Emma + Knightly = LOVE!
Noah + Allie = Breath taking (The Notebook)
Benjamin + Andie = Lovely (How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days)
Elizabeth + Will Turner = H.O.T.
Elizabeth + Mr. Darcy = Classic

Source
They can MAKE the story for me. That said....there are so many books/movies/etc out there with the happy couple ending that sometimes I want the love to be more complex. I want the challenge to be more that getting up the guts to ask that girl/guy out or get over the fact that your parents expect you to marry someone you'll never love. I'm not trying to say those aren't great, because they are. I find myself wanting...more. On those days I dig out the historical fiction books. Namely, anything to do with Elizabeth I of England, aka The Virgin Queen.


Elizabeth's love story is filled with rumors and accusations. That alone makes it fascinating. What I like most about her is she gave up love, among a lot of other things, for the chance to rule her people. I won't go into her history, because I know for some that's boring, but trust me when I say, she's more than the classic love story.

I adore love stories where one of the lovers has to make the ultimate choice: love or the greater good. I rejoice with them when they choose love, but I respect them when they choose the greater good. I think most of us would choose love, but people like Elizabeth couldn't be as carefree as we are. She had a country to lead, nothing she did could be done carelessly or selfishly, not even love. I find that really tragic.Which may be part of my fascination with her. I can't imagine going through the same thing.


If you are interested in Elizabeth's story I could name a million and one books to read, but I think it'd be more useful for you to check out what your local bookstore or library has. You'll be amazed the amount of historical fiction available. (One of the best things, is that these people lived. Sure, the writer may have fudged a little, but it's still fascinating.)


If want the quick version, I have yet to see an Elizabethan movie based on her life that doesn't give an overview of her love life. So go pick up a couple at your local rental. It seems they come up with a new one every couple years.  I just saw ELIZABETH, the Golden Age. It was amazing and held true to most of the history I know.



So what about you? What couples make your heart flutter? Let me know in the comments!

One last note: Don't forget to go congradulate Demitria Lunetta!!! She just got an offer on her manuscript, In the After. Go here to check her out, trust me, you'll be happy you did.

5 comments:

Stina said...

I love all the ones you mentioned. Especially Emma and Knightly. :D

I haven't seen the movie, but now I want to. :D

Elana Johnson said...

Ah yes. Elizabeth and Will Turner. That's classic. I'm with you. I like a love story that requires sacrifice.

Carla said...

I love that I just learned something new! How did I make it through high school and college and not know about Queen Elizabeth's heartbreaking decisions? Clearly my History knowledge needs some improvement! I want to go read some books about her...or watch a good movie!

Meredith said...

You're right--love stories with truly difficult obstacles are the most fascinating. Love Elizabeth I!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I loved Elizabeth as well! The plot, the characters, the costumes....everything!

I'm having a critique contest and Judith Engracia is judging it...if you are interested. :)