Friday, April 15, 2011

Shh! and awesome next week planned!

I tend to keep my writing habit quiet for two reasons:

1. People's first question is: Write anything I know?

They just assume it's published. A lot of people have no idea how complicated it is to get published. It's not easy. Then again, I'm preaching to the choir if you're reading this. 

2. I have a strange enough "main" career that's complicated enough to explain without having to add in the whole writing thing. 

I have one year left until I'm an official high school agriculture teacher. That takes some explaining like...why yes, I am a girl....I'll teach shop, welding, mechanics, horticulture, floral design, animal science, business, and who know's what else....that's right, high school kids....(and my favorite) no, I'm not crazy. 

I've got a feeling that until my book hits shelves I won't tell the everyday person. My family knows, my closest friends know, and well everyone else....they can wait. (Except for you, you're special.) 

Source
Source
I'm actually considering just getting a new wardrobe...what do you all think? It might work?


Have a great weekend! 

P.S. I have a super awesome week planned for next week! Including an interview with one of my critique partners who JUST SIGNED WITH AN AGENT!!! Be sure to check back! See ya then!

2 comments:

Stina said...

I can't wait for the interview! I always love the "I love signed with an awesome agent" interviews.

I hate that "anything thing I've read" question too. Like I know what they read.

Sophia said...

I tend to keep my writing quiet, too, for the first reason you mentioned: non-writers have no idea how hard it is to get published. I really don't want to go into why my book isn't available in stores when I tell you I just finished a first draft. That's not how it works and explaining would 1) take too long and b) not hold your interest so why don't we just change the subject? Can't wait to hear the 'how I found my agent' story!
- Sophia.